Having an electronic traceability system in place in your business makes it much easier to fulfil your responsibilities and obligations in the event of a recall. If you’re a food business operator who is initiating a product recall, the Food Standards Agency explains that your responsibility includes:
• Immediately stop supplying the affected food.
• Notify the relevant parties, with information on why the product is being recalled and proposed action.
• Ensure unsafe products are clearly identified and dealt with accordingly.
Likewise, if you are a business that has been notified of a recall then, among other things, you need to:
• Remove the affected batch of unsafe food.
• Ensure it is clearly identified and kept separate from non-affected food.
You can read the FSA’s complete guidance here.